Document ID: SX3368876 / Created On: May 14, 2015
The installation of a new version of Citrix Receiver failed and the following error is displayed on the Citrix Installation console:
“Setup cannot continue because this version of Receiver is incompatible with a previously-installed version”
The previous version of the Citrix Receiver client was removed but some corrupted registry entries that are still present are causing the installation issue. Filtering on trolleyexpress.exe through process monitor (ProcMon) reveals the remaining registry entries that are blocking the installation process
Complete the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Run the following tool to clean-up a corrupt or previous installation of Citrix Receiver:
CTX137494 – Receiver Clean-Up Utility.
- Verify in your Windows Control Panel in Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs that the Citrix Receiver software is no longer present.
- Download and install the latest Citrix Receiver from Citrix Receiver (ICA).
As a workaround, delete the following legacy key if it exists in REGEDIT to allow the installation to complete successfully:
Caution! Refer to the Disclaimer at the end of this article before using Registry Editor.
- For 32-bit OS: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CitrixOnlinePluginFull
- For 64-bit OS: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CitrixOnlinePluginFull
For advanced troubleshooting, refer CTX141751 – Citrix Receiver Diagnostics Tool – For Windows